Skip to main content

Jonathan visits Buhari at Aso Rock, speaks of risks in Nigeria breakup


Click for Full Image Size
President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday  met with his predecessor Dr Goodluck Jonathan at the presidential villa in Abuja.
Jonathan who spoke with journalists after the meeting underscored the need for the continuous unity of Nigeria despite its current economic and political challenges.
Jonathan noted that it will pay no one if Nigeria is balkanize due to violent attacks and militancy.
“We are great because of our size, the human resources we have, the diversity we have, if we fragmentise the country into small components we will be forgotten by the world,” the former president said.
“Those of you that have followed my talks when I was here, my emphasis is that we need a united Nigeria and I always emphasize that Nigeria is great not just about the oil – so many countries produce more oil than Nigeria nobody notices them,” Jonathan maintained.
Jonathan who said he was at the Villa, to brief President Buhari of his international engagements, especially his appointment as Africa Union head of elections monitoring, in Zambia stressed that as a former leader, it was part of his responsibility to advice on the affairs of the nation.
According to him “one key thing is that having been a head of a government, a former president you become a state property, that's the privilege you have. But every privilege has its corresponding responsibility, and once you become a state property, most of your international engagement, that has to do with public addresses and some international assignment becomes a national assignment, you brief the president. Even when I was here the former presidents used to do that and see me. I have been coming but most times I come in the night that's why you don't see me”.
“I came to brief the president about some of my engagements. As you are aware I will be leading the AU elections monitoring team to Zambia, I came to brief the president about some of this external engagement. It is the tradition,” the ex-Nigerian leader said.
Speaking on the his role in mediating in the Niger delta crisis, Jonathan said “It's not just about me but about all the traditional rulers, elders and opinion leaders that are of the Ijaw ethnic nationality; we have been in touch to see that peace reigns in the country”.

Popular posts from this blog

Steps On How Not To Run Out Of Money Before You Run Out Of Time

Do you find out that your monthly pay and/or pension payouts are not enough to reasonably sustain you? What about your monthly Social Security check? Do you notice that even with all the scrimping and saving you did as a young whipper snapper, you now spend beyond your means? If so, you are not alone. According to a survey conducted by Indexed Annuity Leadership Council, 25 percent of Americans are worried they will outlive their income. Perhaps, like many other people, you didn’t prepare for your golden years as well as you probably should have. Maybe you invested well, but then—right out of left field—you lost big in September, 2008, when the stock market crashed. Perhaps your nest egg was completely depleted or it took you up until now to recover . . . or maybe you haven’t recovered from the loss. The economy is constantly changing and the stock market is a total crapshoot; it’s not easy to keep up with the signs of the times. (It’s even more trying to keep up with the Jo...

Possible keys to Improving Your Attitude

Possible keys to Improving Your Attitude An Attitude can be defined as the manner,   disposition,   feeling,   position,   etc.,   with   regard   to   a  person   or   thing;   tendency   or   orientation,   especially   of   the mind : Attitude can also be described as the way you think about yourself or somebody else. An individual’s attitude is developed from their own internal feelings and thoughts,   and is inherent in each person’s unique behavior. Considering this, attitude can be a result of both personal experiences and observed experiences of others. These can be influenced by social roles and norms. The conclusions that are drawn from each and every experience influence each individual’s  beliefs  and behaviors. The interesting thing is that, these  attitudes can change and improve.  Everyone feels good when they are praised for showing a positive...

Tonto Dikeh Reveals Separation From Husband, Churchill Olakunle

Nollywood actress, Tonto Dikeh has revealed she and her husband, Churchill Olakunle are no longer together and he has not called to check up on her and their son since she left. She wrote; “Dear ‘concerned’ fan, Good day. How are you and your family? My regards, love and greetings to them. Now to address a little bit of your letter, firstly I say I do appreciate your concern. Then I move on to say thank you. When a woman leaves her husband, she takes her child because absolutely nothing else matters to her but the child. This is what I did and I happily give all access for his father to see him. Now my question to you is that did your source also tell you that he has never called for once to Ask how his son is doing? I will admit, I personally blocked his access to me for the sake of my emotional stability. But nonetheless he has the nannys no, my assistants contact,my part time helps number, and many other mediums of reaching the son your source claims I “took away”. He co...